Friday, February 19, 2010

Out of the Woods?

Tiger Woods made his first public appearance and statement today after what you could probably characterize as "a couple of bad months." Tiger seemed contrite, visibly shaken, and sincere in his apology. Now begins the veritable fire-storm of coverage- What did he say? How did he say it? Was he sincere enough? I watched a little of his statement, and you know what? Good enough for me. And you know why? Because really, it has nothing to do with me.

Let me be clear about something: Tiger Woods owes the media and general public absolutely nothing. His wife and family? Absolutely. Friends and close supporters? Sure. But for any of us that follow or cover golf or professional sports of any kind, to stand in judgment of this guy seems foolish. He is after all, a human being. I don't care how much money he makes. I don't care what kind of image he put out, or has had put upon him- he is subject to the same issues and problems that any of us can have. It doesn't mean he's a good person, or that I feel sorry for him- I'm just saying that if I, as human being, am not immune to the emotional challenges of life, then why, just because he's a public figure, should he be? Anybody who feels different is living on another planet, or perhaps should maybe work on some of their own issues.

I like watching Tiger play golf. He's an amazing talent. The fact that he is an imperfect being does not sway my perception of him as a golfer. I will continue to watch him, when he returns to play. If you don't want to buy the products he hocks, if you don't want to watch him or root for him because of is transgressions- that is certainly your prerogative. But for anyone who judges him as a person, because of some sort of unreachable ideal that was projected on him, needs only look in mirror before the casting of stones.

I'm the type that's willing to forgive. And it's easy to do, when the person really hasn't done anything to me in the first place. Also, not to put marital infidelity on some sort of sliding scale of wrong-doing, but let's face it- he's not the first guy to cheat on his wife, and he won't be the last. He got caught, and it seems he's taking steps to repair the damage done to his family. He shouldn't get a pass, but he also shouldn't be scorned- least of all by the general public- because bottom line, it's really none of our business.

No comments: