Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Confessions of a new dad, vol. 11: I just might snap

You know who should win the Nobel Prize for cruel and unusual punishment? The person who invented/ designed the snap up pajamas that our little one wears. They have little snaps up and down the legs,
sometimes all the way up the front. They're great and all- they keep her toasty and she looks cute as a button in them- and it makes it easy to get them off for a quick diaper change, getting them snapped back up and
fastened and situated can prove to be quite challenging. Especially when the baby is cranky- kicking and thrashing about, and especially when it's three o'clock in the morning and dark and you are just trying to get her buttoned up and back in the crib after you've changed her wet diaper, before she really wakes up.

Half the time I think I am sailing along great- snap snap snap- only to realize I've missed a snap in the beginning somewhere and have to pretty much start all over again. That's when the snaps and holders
fail to match up again as they just had- let's face it, mainly due to operator error. And by the time my motor skills return to somewhat full function, and she's all snapped and ready- she's peed again, and I'm left standing
there pondering just how good a parent am I? Do I just put her back to bed wet? How long til she probably wakes up, and... of course I'm not putting her to bed wet, and the process begins again.

At which point she's wide awake, I'm cranky, and Osama bin Pajama-maker has won. Defeated, I think to myself- there has to be a better way! But seeing as though they've been around for years, and I haven't really seen any other handy options out there- it looks like we're stuck, or, all snapped-in as the case may be. Until a crack-team of scientists unearths a new methodology of baby PJ's, I will just have to continue to pray to the patron saint of digital dexterity and hope for the best.

No comments: